Are Money Trees Toxic to Dogs?

The Chinese money tree is a plant that is the symbol of wealth and fortune in Chinese culture and is revered for its mystical attributes. It has a number of curious origin stories about including the story that it was made by a poor man who braided five different plants into one pot and from there received great wealth and fortune.

It’s a beautiful plant to keep around the home but that begs the question of how it synergises with your pets. Asked another way: are money trees toxic to dogs?

The money trees is general considered to be safe to keep at home and is certainly not a major danger to pets like dogs or cats. However, it’s worth being vigilant; money trees do contain irritating saponins, which can be upsetting to dogs if chewed and ingested. However, the money plant of jade plant, is in fact toxic to dogs so you need to watch out.

Are Money Tree Leaves Poisonous?

As mentioned before, the money tree is not considered toxic. In fact, the The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) have officially labelled the plant as non-toxic, so you don’t need to fear too much and it certainly shouldn’t discourage you from having one of these plants if you have dogs at home.

However, it’s worth noting, while the plant is not considered toxic, it can cause some irritation in your pup’s belly if they eat the leaves.

Is the money plant toxic to dogs?

The money plant is completely different to money trees and absolutely can be toxic! The money plant is also known as the jade plant is another common household plant like the money tree.

However, unlike the money tree, the jade plant is actually toxic to dogs and can cause vomiting, stomach irritation and difficulty to swallow. This plant is in fact labelled as toxic by the ASPCA.

What other Plants are Poisonous to Dogs

  1. Lilies are toxic to both dogs and cats, causing renal failure if ingested.
  2. Aloe -Vera, parts of this plant can cause harm to your dog’s digestive tract if eaten.
  3. Ivy, Poison ivy can cause a rash on your dog and lead to paralysis.
  4. Dieffenbachia, this is dangerous for dogs and if ingested will cause swelling to the tongue and mouth leading to breathing difficulties and death.
  5. Caladium, also causes oral burning and breathing difficulties.
  6. Devils Ivy, another poisonous ivy which will make your dog very sick.
  7. Zamioculcas causes diarrhea and vomiting to dogs.
  8. Cyclamen if ingested will disrupt your dog’s heart rhythm and may be fatal.
  9. Asparagus Fern causes gastric upsets and a rash to your dog.

The condition where dogs are compelled to eat greenery may indicate an underlying condition, and if it continues ask your vet about it as some of these behaviors are a sign of a medical problem. Some dogs eat leaves as a way of filling the gaps in their diet. Or it may just be an inherited behavior.

How to keep Dogs away from your Money Tree

Have some shelves erected and keep your plants up high out of reach of the dog. This way you can intersperse the money trees with other plants to get a variation in the foliage, and it will look cool and inviting.

Sometimes hanging baskets can be used to good effect especially in moist humid areas like a bathroom and this will also keep them out of the dog’s reach. There are so many lovely ways to arrange your indoor plants, including green walls in well-lit areas that your dog can’t reach.

If some rooms are out of bounds for the dog remember to keep the door shut and keep him in his approved areas. Dogs love to chew on different things, so make sure he has a ‘dog chew’ to occupy him.

What do Squirrels Eat - What to Fee... x
What do Squirrels Eat - What to Feed Squirrels - Squirrels Diet

Also make sure that your dog gets plenty of exercise, down to the park at least twice a day for a good run, he will be tired when at home and not looking for something to chew on.

A short stroll around the block is not enough for most dogs and they enjoy a long interesting walk and often like to chase a ball or frisbee when they are at the park.

Many dogs have a working heritage, like sheepdogs and other herd dogs who guard their flocks and keep them safe. With Kelpies you will often notice that they try to ’round you up’, so it is doubly important to keep your dog busy.

If you can’t do the long walk twice a day hire a dog walker to take him to the park.

How to Tell if your Dog has eaten Money Tree Leaves

If you have an indoor dog you will soon know if he has been eating the money tree leaves, and just in case it is a good idea to have a first-aid kit available for your pet if there is any kind of mishap.

If you want to move plants, it’s important to first remove any dead leaves and insects as well as watering them well as moving plants can leave signs of stress that could kill your plant if you aren’t careful.

If you see any money tree leaves lying around half-chewed he has probably tried to eat some and may suffer a digestive upset and a sore swollen mouth.

A pet first aid kit can be purchased online and makes a great gift for a pet lover. If your pet has eaten anything poisonous the kit contains fresh 3% hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting (before you give it to the dog phone the Vet and check that it is necessary).

8 Tips To Heal Your Soul

Hydrogen peroxide may not be required depending on how much the dog has eaten. Having a pet first aid kit will give you peace of mind. If the vet says no action is required which is a likely response make sure that your dog drinks plenty of water to flush out his system.

Check out the price on first aid kits for dogs here on Amazon

But remember keep your plants out of the dogs reach, as you feel terrible when anything happens to them.

How to care for your Money Tree and keep the Dog away from it.

To keep the dog away from your money tree place it on a shelf or up a bit higher in a draft-free position. We always worry about the welfare of our pets and although the question ‘are money trees toxic to dogs’ has to be asked, we always want our pets to remain safe.

We now know the money tree won’t kill the dog and also want the money tree to survive, so we don’t want the dog to pull bits off it.

Every week take your money tree outside and spray or hose it down to keep the dust off it. and to keep it moist. It is important that it stays moist but not waterlogged.

It is a very attractive indoor plant so get a couple of them in order to balance out your room, and if you feel there is not enough humidity for it make a humidity- enhancing pebble tray by filling a shallow tray with small rocks, adding water partially cover the rocks and place the plant on top.

If your money tree is remaining in the pot it needs a sandy. peat-moss-based soil with good drainage, we don’t want to leave it sitting in water or the roots will rot.

The main problems you will encounter are overwatering and too much sun, and they can also suffer from mealy-bugs and aphids. The bugs can be treated with systemic insect control which is pet friendly.


If your dog still has lots of energy he can be enrolled in a dog sporting program that he can do with you on the weekend. You can even erect a small agility course in the backyard with hoops for the dog to jump through and obstacles to jump over.

This is something that a Collie or Kelpie will respond well to, and older children can train them in completing their activities, then no one will be bored.

Similar Posts